Thursday, May 10, 2012

…it's a HOP!!

You're at the HOP!!  It's my pleasure today to share a fun stencil from The Crafter's Workshop, designed by Julie Balzer.  The "Peek A Boo" stencil, is a composition of repeating "half moon" shapes in a block pattern.  The arrangement of the patterns on the 12" x 12" template was begging me to make an art journal!  The four groups of circles is a perfect canvas for a decorative background for lettering and journaling.  In the midst of my hosting my online lettering classes, this was a perfect opportunity to create another small lettering journal, i'm calling my "Vision Book".
I started with 2 sheets of 12"x12" watercolor cut to size.  Both sides were spritzed with the new spray inks, Dylusions from Ranger.  Of course the bold, vibrant palette just sings to me!

After the inks were dry, i painted to a thin coat of gesso to unify the page, soften the colors and create a smooth surface for writing.

When the gesso dried, i cut out around the "half moon" shapes around the borders on all four sides.  When i first saw this stencil i envisioned whimsical scallops as edges of pages in a handmade journal!
 …Using a metal t-square for leverage, i tore the pages down the center creating 4 pages of design to be folded in half to make 8 book pages.  (this is actually a 6 page book with a half sheet for the inclusion, and the other half for the cover decoration)
I used 3 pages to make the book and bound the pages with bookbinding thread.  I then tore the 4th piece in half to make and inclusion page, and a decorative ruffle for the front.  The scallops were screaming "paper ruffle" to me!  I cut two strips for the ruffle from one leftover square from the stenciled pattern.  The scallops were created by rolling the cutout "moons" with a thin paintbrush handle to create dimension, then glued to the journal cover.

Bling girl that i am, i then coated the cover with the new Silks, the delicious acrylic glaze paints, which glided on like shiny buttah!  Be still my blinging heart!
My favorite part comes last, filling the book with lettering samplers, writing words and quotes with my black markers and sparkly Sakura Galaxy pens.  I love how the stencil design elements became the dimension for the edges of each page.


This was such a great challenge, to take a stencil and do something completely out of the ordinary with it.  That's what i love about my life as art, being constantly inspired to make something simple, or wonderful in every creation.



Join the fun and HOP on these links to see what my friends created with this stencil.  
Creativity is a magical thing!

41 comments:

  1. Amaizing backgroumg love it. I did not get into the art journal yet, I am waiting for the gesso, but i want to try it.
    I lekr the colors and the mist you used..
    tks for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this little journal. So beautiful and inspirational as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving your little journal!! the colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I LOVE CW templates, and have a growing collection, but I don't know that I would have picked up this one UNTIL I saw your post today! I recently had to make a layer of scrapbooking paper with large scallops around the edge, which was a bit of a project before I could move onto the real focus of my whole art journal/mixed media page layout. The way you made scallops, and ruffles, from this template was fascinating to me, and I think now, I simply HAVE to order one ASAP! Thanks so much for the inspiration! ((hugs)) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne...you rocked this stencil!!! I see a need to create another journal in a similiar manner...possibly for the next lettering class:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a wonderfully creative journal that just sings inspiration and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous! I love those sprays too, and they are perfect with stencils. Can't wait to take a class with you at CREATE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog, following along...looking forward to lots of visits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colors! I really like the scallops, especially the cutouts on the cover. I just bought a couple of bottles of Dylusions but now wish I had bought the pink and purple instead of the blue and green.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, what you done is fantastic. I too just purchased a couple of bottles of Dylusions. See all of this makes me certain I made the right decision to retire. June 1 is my last day at work and I cannot wait to play and create. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous little book! I love the 'scales' on the cover and all the great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WowWowWow Joanne!

    SuperFantastic interpretation of Julies awesome stencil - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderfully creative journal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super journal!! Love what you did with the stencil:) Tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the inspiration and sharing. I totally want to get up and go make something. I am in full creative mode right now, but must get through the work day. I knew I shouldn't have taken an internet break. :) The journal is beautiful. The color choices were fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my I love your journal. You really made that stencil come alive. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool is that cute little vision book! Thank you for the inspiration. Love these blog hops to see all the creativity out there. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this!! I'm new to Mixed Media Art Journaling and am having so much fun with it. Love this idea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. absolutely LOVED your book. Those Dylusions sprays are awesome colors and I love how you used them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. just absolutely stunning! tfs :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job with the stencil... Love your book...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joanne, this is BEAUTIFUL!! You are, as always, so inspiring, and your creativity just ROCKS!! Love it, hugs, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the way you think out of the box with this stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very very cool wee book....and stencilling...and lettering :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Man...this is just too cute for words. Were do you come up with these great ideas. You and I need to hang out!
    Connie in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning! Three of my favorite things; stencils, spray inks, and lettering! Thanx so much for sharing and for the inspiration! :)

    KimMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joanne: Question :) You must've torn the 12x12 sheets in half PRIOR to cutting the scalloped edges, right? I was following the steps to make one of these, but realized that when I followed in order I had cut the scallops before tearing in half...then I had a straight side. I should've thought that through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, rip the sheet in half and then cut around the scallops you have left

      Delete
  28. What a trip this blog hop has been! For one thing, it's my introduction to your art and I love it! I have to thank Julie for introducing me to your art. What you all did with her stencil was so different - I'm not surprised - and so beautiful. I love rich colors and the art work at the top of your blog is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is fabulous! I love how you used the stencil print as a guide for cutting the edges. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete