Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Whimsey Making Wednesday


This week's "Whimsical Wednesday" post is a little tutorial on how i use a "Color Journal" to inspire my vibrant art.  All of these "Whimspirations" and illustrations were made with just four different products: Derwent Inktense Pencils, Sakura Koi Watercolors and Micron pens, Faber Castell Gelatos and Pitt pens.  Being an illustrator and mixed media artist, i use many products for my artwork.  I have the most fun with the challenge of choosing which mediums will achieve the look and best illuminate the message i want to convey.





I'm all about CoLoR and love color on everything!  Have you figured that out about me yet? LOL!  Maybe that's why i crave traveling to tropical places, as they are usually the most colorful destinations in the world!  

When i buy "collect" art products, i must have most every color that it comes in!  There are so many art products, all so unique.  Different materials give you  specific effects, variations of colors, hues and textures.  With a pile of art materials and choices in front of you, it's challenging to decide just exactly what product will give you just the right look, the perfect effect for an art piece.

I have a designated sketch book i call my "Color Journal", (i use the Strathmore Visual Journal Mixed Media) where i keep every color sample from the variety of art products in my studio.  Illustrated scribbles showcase the actual colors and effects for each product.  I label the page with the product and each color name.  It's also very helpful when i am tying to find the perfect color look for a specific project.   Playing with the materials and recording them in this journal is also a great activity when i "need" to just use my art stuff and not have to worry about creating a masterpiece. 

Here are samples some of my reference sketchbook pages and how i create the pages:





WATERCOLOR TEST OVER BLACK MARKERS AND PENS:




I also have color sample pages with my Copics, Ranger products, watercolor crayons, etc.  It's such a valuable tool that i use in my creating.  So, grab a little plain paper journal and have fun making your very own "Color Journal"!

10 comments:

  1. I'm trying new art mediums so I'm grabbing my art journal and doing exactly this...LuvLuvLuv all these pages...they make my heart sing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved finding out some background on your talent!!!

    I'm in such trouble when you open your Etsy shop. Such deep trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea!!! As I acquire more "art products" I should keep a journal for reference like this. I have some separate ones but it would be nice to have them all in one place. Do you use the Copics much? Mel & I were in the same certification class, tho I didn't know it at that time, LOL
    Also the Sakura Koi Watercolor Set; I've not heard of before. Why did you go with that one? and where would one get those?
    Love the picture and colors as always.
    Your fan for life.
    Robynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of having a color sample book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. saying it again.....love you work and use of color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! You are amazing... great artwork, wonderful journal pages, and loads of playful colors. Thank you for sharing :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea to have a designated color journal! but what i'm really wondering is why my koi watercolors and pitt pens never look as good as yours......i LOVE your journal pages!! happy color, happy weekend to you! :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never in a million years would have thought of doing this. What a great idea. Maybe it will even get me a little more organized! I have so many different types of media, I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the Gelato page for reference today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete