Monday, April 25, 2011

magazine and marker magic

It's here, it's here!  My first article for Cloth Paper Scissors magazine has arrived to subscribers! (these photos are from my friend Mel)  The May/June 2011 issue should be on your news stands any day, if it's not there already. 

I'm over the moon excited about this, even made it on the cover!  Well, almost.  Those are my little hand drawn flowers in the upper right corner of the magazine cover.  My 5 page article is titled "Making Magic with Markers".  It's about my love for Copic markers in my artwork and teaching.

It features my original, hand drawn art, full color illustrations and some small tutorials on how to use Copic markers and get beautiful blends in your projects.  It's my take on an "artful" way to color.  After all, coloring is very relaxing and really good for you!



I must say that my favorite part of the article is some FREE ART!  I created this black and white illustration for readers to print out and color.  It's a special little "whimspiration" that you can practice your coloring and then display.
So pick up the May/June issue, color along with the little lesson and create your own Copic color-full masterpiece!

My original illustration colored for this magazine shoot

Thank you, thank you to my editors Jenn Mason and Barbara Delaney!  The article is gorgeous, and you've done it to perfection.  So very proud to have my name on it.

17 comments:

  1. I just love this... I'm so glad I got to know you!!! You're just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, you are amaazing. Makes a *marker mamma* proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article is really great ! Makes me want to go buy all 300 Copic markers! Thanks for the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. so so happy for you!! good for you!!!!! U are def going places my dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just discovered your blog and love it...I subscribe to Cloth, Paper, Scissors and can't wait to receive this issue in my mailbox. Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, I love your work and can't wait to see it! Congratulations to you! :) I will also be working with CPS in the very near future. Can't wait!!
    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me excited about the next issue. Can't wait to check my mail for my magazine. I want to play with the freebie! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Joanne! You inspired me to try something new last week, the Derwent Watercolor Pencils. I was able to achieve a great result. Now I'll need to take a look at the markers, I suppose. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on being published. This looks like a comprehensive article with lots of good instruction. Look forward to receiving my issue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hip, hip... hooray! This is exciting. Look forward to this issue :]
    Great illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! My kids will love the FREE ART. I going to go buy it today! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just over at a create mixed media and thought the art of the week looked an awful lot like the marker art in the CPS I just got. :) Your work is just beautiful- so happy looking!!! My mom is a elementary school teacher too- she'll get a huge kick to see the beautiful art you do- with MARKERS! So cool! Congrats on the article- gonna go read it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome article! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got my issue a few days ago and I LOVE your article, your art, and now your blog - which I discovered by reading the article. Your whimsical art is so inspiring to me. I use Prismacolor markers and have for the past several years, but your article makes me want to go out and buy a whole set of Copic... Oh dear. How do you get your line drawings to be so ... I can't think of a word...they're not uniform lines that look like coloring books but they're whimsical and varied in their thickness. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank YOU and YOU and YOU and YOU and all of you awesome sweet girls!!!!!!! I really appreciate YOU!! xoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, there I was cruising around the Brave Girl links and Shazaammm I find you, The lady who helped me enormously by writing the Copic article I just read in CPS.
    So, thank you so much!!! excellent article and I officially have copic collection envy after looking at your stash LOL
    Keep Smiling and Creating, Well done brave girl

    ReplyDelete