Tuesday, December 6, 2011

"artful color play" prompts

 Today's post celebrates "artful color play"!  It's a new blog feature that i will be nurturing in 2012 and wanted to take it out for a test spin this month.  Every week i will feature an "artful color play prompt" to inspire you explore color in your journaling and mixed media, etc.  I'll post an example and then invite you to share the experience by creating a journal page.  It's all about color choices and just another way to stretch a bit and make a commitment to try new looks.

I like bright colors, that's a given.  But i also like to make pieces with deliberate "color stories", like these cools, blues, purples and greens. We're all drawn to a specific palette, that's what makes our art unique.  The color choices we make are just as much the "art" as well as the finished work.  




 It's very challenging for me to not grab my "same old, same old" colors when i am consciously working with a specific palette! It's fun to look back and see the "artful color play" and process that has made me the artist i am at this very moment in time. 




So now i'll grab a cup of cawfee, a journal, some "color makers" (paints, markers, collage, crayons, pastels, etc) and start creating my next brilliant stories.  
In January, i'll be starting a small, brand new journal for just this activity, and would love if you did the same!  Let's try it out and get started right here.  Happy "art play day" to you!

"ARTFUL COLOR PLAY" PROMPT:  Make one journal background page just using blues, purples and greens with watercolor or acrylic paint.

11 comments:

  1. I will have to see about finding a journal or something to doodle in and I have tons of acrylic paints so we'll see how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am so far behind in everything right now, rushing around, preparing for the holidays. I love my time after dinner when I just say "enough", and kick my feet up.. This is when I can finally unwind a bit! I finished a Fall Journal, but haven't started a Winter Journal yet. Maybe this is the nudge I need to get it started! I'll see what I can do! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun...I'm up for the challenge, What kind of watercolor book are you using? I have a Strathmore Mixed Media, I'm not real crazy about it for watercolors.
    Laurie
    www.lauriescharmingdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like fun...I can't wait to play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love color too so this has inspired me! Thank you and I look forward to doing this next year. Your work is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to do it too, but I will have to save the prompt until Christmas (school) vacation begins. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm just popping in to say I did do a Junque/Art Journal layout, using just the colors blue, green, and purple.. But I hope it is permissible to throw in white... because that's what I did! (0; Oops! Still, I'm very happy with it, and while really I'm just a beginner with all this stuff (about a year now scrapping and journaling), I just hope you like it too, if you want to see it...

    http://beansiebabbles.blogspot.com/2011/12/snowman-assembled.html

    Thanks for the prompt to play! I had fun with it! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the idea and inspiration Joanne, I've been using this color scheme for a few days now and loving the results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Authenitc Spiritual Healing and Break Black Magic Services:

    We provide 24/7 Spiritual Healing Services to Protect you from the Evil’s of Black Magic (Any type of magic), Supernatural & Paranormal Activity House Cleansing, Demonic Possession, Exorcism, Holistic Distance Healing, Energy Healing, Meditation Healing, etc.

    Call Now: +92-313-5303096 (Whatsapp)
    Call Now: +92-300-0848848 (Whatsapp)

    ReplyDelete