Wednesday, January 18, 2017

.....let "WHIMSICAL WEDNESDAYS" begin!

For quite some time I have been playing with the idea of posting a small tutorial, art tidbit or video EVERY Wednesday for a whole year.  Well here we are, in the THIRD Wednesday of the New Year and it's time to begin! 


WHIMSICAL WEDNESDAY  #1 of 52...."MINI MOMENTS" PAPER JOURNALS
I recently posted this photo on my Instagram (follow me @joannesharpe)  and it was so well received, I thought a little tutorial would be in order for my first Whimsical Wednesday post.

"WITH A LITTLE WHIMSEY" IDEA: Make a little bit of art every day, in a little bitty size.  This is one of my favorite things to do with my water reactive (Tombow) markers or watercolor paints, water brush, paintbrushes and watercolor paper.  


MAKE YOUR SUPER SIMPLE JOURNALS:
Take a strip of watercolor any size you wish.  A good place to start is a piece that is approximately 3" x 12".  You can always use wider widths of paper too.

Fold the paper in half, then in half again and open it up.  Fold back each little panel in an accordion fashion.  For this book each individual panel is 3"x 3", a perfect size to make little art nuggets.

How super and simple, right?? 






Paint a loose watercolor or marker border as a background and frame in each panel.  let dry completely before adding lettering.

Add your favorite quotes and inspirational thoughts.   Use black pens or colorful markers to make lettering in each box. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or earth shattering, just make a little art every day!
Would you like more whimsical instruction in my loaded online classes?  
VISIT MY WEBSITE and check out all the ONLINE CLASSES previews.

20 comments:

  1. You are having so much fun . . . it's wonderful that you like to share and spread it around . . . stay happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! i need more hours in a day or just give up on sleep!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Joanne!! I always tell myself I'll write that one (quote) down... and never do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea. A great jumping off point when the creative mood strikes but you're overwhelmed with all your supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again Joanne. This is such a cute idea, and such a small size is eminently do-able! Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! And doing it in a mini bite size is a perfect thing to do each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this wonderful tidbit! I love it and I know I will be watching every week for this one! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this idea Joanne!! Your art certainly inspired me to get into watercolors and your classes have been immensely helpful. I have been collecting quotes a long time and think this is such a perfect way to keep them close by.Thanks so much for sharing!PS- not only are the classes awesome but so is your 'Art of Whimsical Lettering' book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanne, thank you so much for this post. I saw update your profile earlier on Faceboom and was considering leaving a request for instructions on creating it. So this is a very pleasant surprise to see you shared instructions. :) I am in your 2017 Artfully Inspired class and I have really enjoyed watching your videos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love your work and posts. I do regret not buying your hardcover book, I bought the ebook, but it is out of site out of mind kind of thing. Love Whimsey Wednesday. Just need to go get watercolor paper now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful idea. I can see me creating beautiful accordion books with individualised quotes as gifts for family and friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic!! T hank you so much for sharing, I LOVE this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing. Thx so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love them!! thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great simple idea. No excuses not to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this idea. So simple and so pretty. This is also a great way to use up some of this paper I have! Thanks for sharing this idea. I might even use some of the quote stamps in mine. Look forward to more like this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how stimulating - will create one as a birthday card for an 8 year old

    ReplyDelete